6 mins read
When it comes to your food, we know you only want the best. Top-quality ingredients, reasonable price, fast delivery, inspiring recipes … there are many things to take into consideration. But each taste bud is different, and so are individual dietary needs. That is why what is considered the best meal delivery service by some, may not be the right choice for you.
Whether you are a vegan, a student on a budget, a keto diet devotee, or only eat organic, there is a meal kit provider for you. Keep reading to find out how to get the perfect box on your doorstep.
Know What You Need
The first step to choose the right meal kit for you is realizing what you are looking for. Try to ask yourself some simple questions:
- Do you have any allergies? Are you following a strict diet such as paleo or keto?
- Do you need your box to be delivered on a specific day of the week?
- What is your budget?
- How important is recipe variety for you?
- Would you like to only eat organic and local ingredients?
- Do you just need the main dish, or would you like to receive snacks and desserts?
Then try to prioritize your answers to see which one between convenience, affordability, and ingredients is the most important to you. These are the three main areas on which meal delivery providers work. And just like you, each company will have its own number one priority.
Prepared Meal Kits for People With Special Needs
Before personal taste and budget, there is obviously health. If you have allergies and severe food intolerances, it is very important to research the appropriate provider. Look for clear and easy-to-read ingredients and nutritional information, so that you can make sure to avoid what you cannot eat.
It is also extremely important that you check the food processing details. Most meal kit providers handle all their ingredients within the same facilities, making it impossible to avoid contamination entirely.
Special Care for Special Dietary Needs
However, there are companies that, due to this specific reason, decide to exclude certain ingredients altogether. All Freshly meals, for example, are 100% certified gluten-free and never contain peanuts.
Managing diabetes can be challenging but prepared meal kits like SunBasket make the diet part easier. All portions in its special diabetes-friendly menu are under 700 calories, with a limited amount of carbs and sodium, and less than 10% of calories from sugar. The menu is so good that has been approved by the American Diabetes Association.
If you think organic ingredients are a must, there are providers that agree with you. Their food is organic and sourced through sustainable farming and fishing.
Diet Meal Delivery Services
There is no reason why you should give up on mouthwatering, easy-to-cook meals while on a diet. Quite the opposite, many meal delivery services design their recipes with weight loss and other dietary requirements in mind.
If you want to lose weight but do not wish to exclude specific foods from your diet, meals with clear nutritional information are for you. Most companies will make it even easier by putting together specific low-calorie menus or clearly highlighting meals that contain a low-calorie intake. Providers featuring low-calorie menus include:
Many — such as HomeChef and Freshly — also offer a low-carb menu.
If you are following a specific diet plan such as paleo, there are several meal delivery providers that cater to your needs. One example is GreenChef, which not only features a paleo menu but also special keto, vegetarian, pescatarian, vegan and certified gluten-free menus.
What Is the Cheapest Meal Delivery Service?
Even the best meal delivery services should not make you dip into your 401(k). If you are on a budget, there are ways in which you can make receiving delicious high-quality food every week affordable.
- Check the delivery policy. Several companies allow you to save on delivery even though their price per serving is within the market average. HomeChef, for instance, is free for orders over $45, making it a great option for families buying several portions per week. Freshly will always deliver for free, no matter the size of your box.
- Look out for special discounts. On top of having one of the most competitive prices on the market, HelloFresh offers a 15% student discount to help everyone enjoy their recipes. Several companies — such as Freshly — also allow for promotional codes to first-time orders.